Buy Me a Coffee

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Access denied while installing or updating hardware driver

While installing an hardware (in my case it was an Nvidia display adapter) you may received an error "Access denied" even if you signed in as Administrator privileges.

Installation using Safe mode failed as well...

I have found that the corporate McAfee Anti-Virus OAS preventing the old driver deletion from the system directory. therefore the installation can not be completed while the error message was "Access denied"...

In order to complate the installation:
1. Disable all McAfee components...
2. Install the driver.
3. Enable all McAfee components...

Thanks
Oded Rabani

5 comments:

  1. I just installed windows, and received this warning. I haven't installed anything yet - because I can't. What would my solution be?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7/3/13 00:06

    spot on - disable your AV to install the driver

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous31/5/13 12:11

    Thanks for this essential reminder. After diabling McAfee I was able to install the new drivers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear, thanks for the feedback.

      Delete
  4. Anonymous3/6/13 09:50

    nothing to disable when you don't have SuxAfee, but the same problem remain..

    ReplyDelete